Sunday, April 18, 2010

Backyard Discoveries

I made two rather unfortunate discoveries today as I continued to poke around in our new back yard:

1) I really want to build a raised garden bed for some vegetables this year. I have never done this in the past due to our transient renter status, although I have dabbled here and there with tomatoes and herbs. So this Spring, I have started over 100 seedlings on our dining room table and yesterday, plotted out an area that I thought would get optimal sunshine. While we were outside this morning, shovels in hand, Tim pointed out that the leaves weren't out on the trees yet, so we couldn't be sure that this area would get enough sun. I did not factor leaves into the equation when choosing the area for a vegetable garden. Unfortunately, I don't think I can find a single 12' x 12' plot that will get enough full sun. The only other option is to put it on our patio, which is not that big and already houses our patio set. Once again feeling like a rookie, I have to rethink size and dimensions before moving forward. Good thing the seedlings will need a couple more weeks indoors. Frost warnings are in the forecast for next week!

2) I've been curious as to why there is an oval shaped rock garden in one of the garden beds near the back of our yard, so today I started to put the rocks into a wheel barrow to move to another location closer to the house. The kids quickly joined in, eager to help and get their hands dirty. Fifteen minutes into the project, three distinct mounds started to take shape. The words 'pet cemetery' instantly flashed through my mind, along with the recollection that the former owner did indeed bury her cats on the property. Needless to say, the rocks were replaced, and I am kinda horrified.

4 comments:

  1. I would be horrified too, but good catch on the pet cemetery. Yikes! Your gardening goals are admirable, and I am sure you'll find a way to make it work. Some people in our neighborhood garden in the front yard, since most people get more sun there. I thought the rule of thumb was the plant after Memorial Day to be sure you won't get frost, but you do live slightly more south than we do. I can't wait to see your house! We miss all of you and can't wait to see you this summer! Come visit us and we will visit you when we make our way to Michigan in the late summer. Love the Puerto Rico pics, by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have 2 acres of property, and I would say 1.5 of the acres are wooded, both in the front and back yard. The back yard gets some nice south facing sun, but there are a couple of big trees that will probably shade most of the area. The patio definitely gets the best sun. That and Kate's favorite place to dig, pee, and play.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The leaves! Who knew? Tim is smart. Yeah, is there any room in your front yard? Don;t give up on the idea, perhaps just scale it back a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The front yard is definitely more shady than the back. Thoughts on taking down old growth hardwoods in defense of a vegetable garden?

    ReplyDelete