Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Renovations, Reciprocal Saws and Rodin







This week I have succeeded in removing the pocket door from the bathroom, tearing out the drywall and removing all remaining wallpaper. Unfortunately, I've hit my first stumbling block: I can't cut through 2 x 4's with my Leatherman or a serrated knife, and therefore need to purchase a saw. Upon hearing this new, Tim's eyes lit up and within the hour was off to Home Depot. While wandering through the aisles of 'homeowner heaven', he sent me 5 text messages with various tool names and prices. We've decided a reciprocal saw is the way to go for this project, and I look forward to getting my hands on it and tearing down this wall! I've also realized, through trial and error, that working in stocking feet is not safe, and I should purchase safety glasses and a mask before I start swinging the hammer and pounding on the tile wall again.

Meanwhile, I was in Jack's classroom yesterday fulfilling my monthly 'Picture Parent' duties. Each month, I am given a poster of a piece of art, with accompanying binder full of information on how to present the piece to the kids. This month I had Rodin's "The Thinker." These first graders were very interested in learning about bronze casting and a little French Art History. No, I didn't mention that "The Thinker" is supposed to depict Dante contemplating the gates of Hell, and yes, I wish I could have actually sculpted something with the kids. It's just so difficult to try and immerse students in a subject matter for only 30 minutes a month with a budget of $0, but hopefully the crusty baguette I gave them to gnaw on helped to engrain the experience in their little formative memories.

Ella twisted, turned and somersaulted her way through gymnastics/ballet class yesterday evening. After recovering from the shock of writing a check for $120 to cover her $55 'costume' and another month of lessons, I realized Tuesday is Ella's favorite day of the week because of the time she spends at MGTC. She is so expressive and emotive, and we are fortunate to be able to give her this outlet for her energy. Her first performance is in May.

This is the kids last day of school this week. We don't have any plans, but are hoping for company this weekend, and will be taking plenty of trips to the local sledding hill. And as for the bathroom reno? This will most likely be put on hold until Papa is home to help on Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment